Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Malaysia Cup and I..Part 2





1986...



I have fond memories of 1986. I am in Form 4 now...so called the honeymoon year as there's no major exam in F4. Fresh from clearing the 1st hurdle that is SRP...no, it wasnt clearing really, I really scored big time in SRP...suddenly, honeymoon year beckons.

Wow, it was a honeymoon in every sense of the word...though some my actions or rather inactions then would later comeback to haunt me in years to come.

That year Selangor met Johore, the reigning champion in the final. Being considered as big boys now, my friends and I decided that we've had enough of watching the final in a dimly lit Dewan Makan...time to rough it up, time to join the mob and there were we in Stadium Merdeka, lining up to buy the tickets.

I still remember vividly how it rained cats and dogs in the hours before the 1st whistle being blown. It was really pouring....good Omen maybe? Ahh..the old laksa shack near the stadium provided us shelter and above all, cheap and good food.

Enter the stadium, the scene was unbelievable...it was packed with Selangor diehards, big time.

We're not overawed though as Stadium Merdeka was a familiar hunting ground, what with my alma mater, SJI holding its annual Sports Day in the hallowed turf...not to mention my school soccer team exploits there. The days of Isham Hassan, Shamsuri Alias and yes, funnyman Harith Iskander too revisited.

Match proper, Johore drew 1st blood, the then young, up and coming Dollah Salleh scored with a header. Johore 1-0 Selangor.
And then....on a muddy pitch, Selangor scored 6..yes six without reply. Can't really recalled who scored except subs Mutalib Adam who scored last.

Mokhtar was in his swansong game, Aru kept goal...the rest were Khan Hung Meng, 1st Indon import Ristomoyo Kassim..ahhh...can't really remember the rest now. I think Ristomoyo did score too.
Guess he started the foreigners' influx..and Semi Pro days hasn't even started yet.
Final score Selangor 6-1 Johore.

Mokhtar later announced his retirement and Selangor retired the No 10 jersey. Did Safee Sali wearing that number now? OMG..flip flop decision.

Ohhh 1986...that was before Fandi powered KL reigned supreme with 3 titles on the trot 1987-1989.

Come Saturday, would Selangor repeat the 1986 feat? On paper...seems too big a task...but hey, God works in mysterious way...who knows?

2 comments:

rizal hashim said...

Bro, Dollah scored the opening goal thru a header, then Razali Alias equalised via a volley. Whenever I meet Razali, I always like to remind him of that goal, he smiles and appreciates the fact I remember that goal.

Anonymous said...

yang aku pulak paling ingat zaman ken worden - first season with selangor. and the awang import - robert paul dunn from ozie. selangor went all the way to finale only for boban to smash a hattrick.....